by: AIA New York
On Wednesday, June 14, 2023, AIA New York hosted its 156th Annual Meeting, where members elected 2024 leadership, amended chapter bylaws, and celebrated recent chapter achievements and award recipients. The annual night of gathering is an important part of shaping the future of the chapter its professional community.
After presenting on the state of the chapter, from program initiatives and advocacy, 2023 President Matthew Bremer, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, turned over the podium to Board Treasurer Alexander P. Lamis, FAIA, to discuss the chapter’s financial health. Secretary Mark Gardner, AIA, then led members to vote on a bylaws amendment to further diversity and inclusion at the chapter by expanding and changing the composition of the Fellows Committee to include members with a variety of perspectives. After members approved the change, Gardner presented the work of the Nominating Committee in creating the 2023 slate. Present AIANY members confirmed the committee’s slate without delay.
The Annual Meeting also served as an opportunity to recognize members of the architecture and design community for their local and regional contributions. For the first time in the chapter’s history, the Service to the City and Service to the Institute Award were combined in recognition of the work of former AIANY and Center for Architecture Executive Director Benjamin Prosky, Assoc. AIA. Congratulations to the following award recipients:
- Service to the Institute Award and Service to the City Award: Benjamin Prosky, Assoc. AIA, former Executive Director, AIA New York | Center for Architecture; President, Classical American Homes Preservation Trust
- Public Architect Award: Margaret O’Donoghue Castillo, FAIA, LEED AP, Chief Architect, NYC Department of Design and Construction
- Leadership in Housing Award: RiseBoro
- Special Citation in Service to the Institute: Molly Heintz, former Editor in Chief, Oculus; Editor in Chief, Material Bank
- Special Citation in Service to the City: Rosalie Genevro, former Executive Director, The Architectural League of New York
We congratulate incoming board and committee members and look forward to celebrating with you at the 2023 Inaugural!