by Murrye Bernard Assoc. AIA LEED AP
In this issue:
·AIA Teams Up with Google Earth
·AIANY Members to Speak at GSD
·Big Apple Tour of San Antonio
AIA Teams Up with Google Earth
The American Institute of Architects (AIA) launched two new AIA layers in Google Earth with the software’s recent upgrade: Blueprint for America and America’s Favorite Architecture. Marking AIA’s 150th anniversary, the AIA and Google Earth partnership demonstrates architecture’s impact on the world to more than 200 million Google Earth users.
America’s Favorite Architecture layer features the American public’s favorite structures, as selected by a Harris Interactive poll announced earlier this year. Google Earth users can now see newly-created 3-D models of the ballparks, bridges, buildings, and memorials that characterize architecture and comment on the poll results.
The Blueprint for America documents community service efforts funded by the AIA, in which AIA members donate their time and expertise to collaborate with community leaders and local citizens to address issues such as homelessness, sustainable communities, and downtown revitalization. Clicking on the Blueprint for America layer enables users to explore how AIA members and local citizens are working together to resolve real issues in their communities.
To learn more, either go to the websites, or watch the AIA/Google Earth YouTube video available online here.
AIANY Members to Speak at GSD
The Summer 2007 Executive Education program held by the Harvard Graduate School of Design comprises some 40 workshops covering design, real estate, business development, management, planning, and technologies. AIA New York Chapter member speakers include Randolph Croxton, FAIA; William Pedersen, FAIA; Walter Chatham, FAIA; Stephen Kliment, FAIA; Gregory Beck; Raymond Bordwell, AIA; J David Hoglund FAIA; Robert A. Klein, AIA; and Paul Milana, AIA. For details, visit the website or telephone: 617.384.7214.
Big Apple Tour of San Antonio
By Jeremy Edmunds, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
While forgetting the Alamo may be forgivable, missing the array of programs your peers are serving up later this week is not. Come support your fellow New Yorkers who are presenting or moderating 25 programs at the AIA Convention. Topics range from spicing up your presentations to improving your writing skills to choosing technologies to deliver your projects. New Practices New York will be exhibited; a reception for AIANYS will celebrate new Fellows and Lance Jay Brown, FAIA, this year’s Topaz Award Winner. AIAS and Architect magazine will throw parties Thursday evening. The Council of Architectural Component Executives (CACE) will host a luncheon on Friday highlighting reasons to come to NYC in August. Friday evening the new Fellows will receive their medallions at the Alamo.
A full list of events and seminar handouts (to conserve this year’s convention is paperless!) are available online. Following is a list of all programs with NY-based speakers and significant events by day and time. Enjoy!
8:00 AM-12:00 PM
· WE02 The Human Connection: Bring Your Presentations to Life!, Carol Doscher; Rich Swingle
· WE14 Tall Buildings at Work: The New High Performance Office, David White with Vidar Lerum, PhD, Assoc. AIA; Eui-Sung Yi
8:30 AM-5:30 PM
· WE25 Integrating Green Design with Historic Preservation — NWA, Roy R. Pachecano, AIA, APA, NCARB; David J. Pfeffer, Esq. with Brian Chandler; APA, Stephen Colley, AIA
· WE33 Sustainable Lighting Challenges, Barbara Cianci Horton with James Benya; Gilbert Lang Mathews, Esq.
· WE35 Writing for Success in Architecture Practice: Improved Tools and Techniques for Clear Communication, Stephen A. Kliment, FAIA
· New Practices New York Exhibition opening at Blue Star Arts, 101 Bowie St., San Antonio, TX
· AIA Candidate Speeches and Regional Caucuses
· TH04 Women in Green: Voices of Sustainable Design, Robin Guenther, FAIA, with Kira Gould, Assoc. AIA; Sandy Mendler
· TH08 Sustaining Our Elderly, Mitch Green with Jeffrey W. Anderzhon, FAIA; Ingrid Fraley, IIDA
· TH17 Creating Sustainable Psychological and Physiological Designs, Vincent Smith with Lisa Krumins; Barbara Lyons Stewart, AIA
· E10 AIA Honors and Awards Ceremony
· TH34 Greening Affordable Housing: New Innovations from the Field, William Stein, AIA, LEED AP with Bruce Hampton, AIA, LEED AP; Bill Roschen, AIA; Walker Wells, AICP, LEED AP
· TH48 Sustainability, Design, and Innovation, Susan Szenasy with Kira Gould, Assoc. AIA; Lance Hosey, AIA, LEED AP; Henry Siegel, FAIA
· TH49 Drivers of Change: Energy, Water, and Climate Change, Fiona Cousins, PE, LEED AP, Jessica Strauss, AIA, LEED AP
· TH51 AIA Whitney M. Young Jr. Forum
· AIA New York State Reception at Aztec on the River, 201 East Commerce Street
· FR08 Lessons Learned from the ArchVoices Essay Competition, Elizabeth Donoff with Matt Ostanik, AIA, CSI
· FR09 Innovation and Sustainability in Blast — Resistant Design, Robert Smilowitz, PhD, PE, with Ken Hays; Kevin O’Connor, AIA, LEED AP; Morgan R. Williams, AIA
· FR18 Designing for Aging Baby Boomers as Opposed to Seniors: What’s the Difference?, Priscilla Wallace with Steven Wayne Goggans, AIA; Paul Morris, FASLA; Judy Schriener
· Gold Medalist and Topaz Award presentations
· FR30 New York New Visions: Success or Failure?, Alexander Garvin, APA; Rosalie Genevro; Mark E. Ginsberg, FAIA, APA; Mark Strauss, FAIA, AICP
· FR36 New York City Builds on Its Legacy, Laurie Kerr, LEED AP; Karen K. Lee, MD, MHSc, FRCPC; Deborah Taylor, AIA, LEED AP
· FR39 Advocacy Tactics for a Sustainable Endgame: The Politics of Sustainability, Jeremy S. Edmunds, Assoc. AIA, PE, LEED AP with Ron Faucheux, PhD, Esq.; John Norquist, Hon. AIA; Ambassador Richard N. Swett, FAIA
· FR43 Sustainable Communities in Our Nation’s Regions: AIA Honor Awards for Regional and Urban Design, J. Max Bond Jr., FAIA; Lance Jay Brown, FAIA with Constance Bodurow, Assoc. AIA, AICP
· FR47 Sustainable Design Perspectives after the Disaster, Marianne Cusato, CNU with Robert J. Berkebile, FAIA; Walker Wells, AICP, LEED AP
· FR66 Making a Difference: AIA 2007 Young Architect Award Recipient’s Discussion
· FR74 Deconstructing Sustainable Interiors, Susan Szenasy with Jeff Barber, AIA, LEED AP; Carlie Bullock-Jones Thompson; Tom Paladino; Kendall P. Wilson, AIA, IIDA, LEED AP
· FR80 The Viridian Loan Fund: Bringing Green Roofs to Affordable Housing, Leslie Hoffman
· Fellows’ Investiture at the Alamo
· New Practices at Blue Star Arts, 101 Bowie St., San Antonio, TX
· E30 Fiesta! San Antonio Host Chapter Party at LaVillita
· SA07 Resilient Green Design Teams and Processes, Kathleen Bakewell, Assoc. AIA; Gerry Lang, AIA
· SA13 Designing the Sustainable Workplace in the Civic Environment, Barbara A. Nadel, FAIA with Edward A. Feiner, FAIA; Gary Haney, AIA, NCARB; Thom Mayne, FAIA
· SA17 Design Issues and Considerations for Improving Sustainable Roofs, Douglas Stieve, AIA with Christopher W. Giffin, AIA; Richard S. Koziol, AIA, NCARB
11:30 AM-1:00 PM
· SA26 Professional Practice in the 21st Century, James Sawyer, AIA with James P. Cramer, Hon. AIA, IIDA
· SA50 AIA Institute Honor Awards for Architecture
Jeremy Edmunds, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP, is moderator of “Advocacy Tactics for a Sustainable Endgame: the Politics of Sustainability” on Friday May 3rd at 1:30 PM.