On 04.12.16 at the Center for Architecture, Maria Torres-Springer, president and CEO of the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), discussed how NYCEDC encourages inclusive innovation and economic growth through the built environment. NYCEDC manages more than 200 city-owned properties for which the agency completes community planning and development work. In addition, the agency spearheads economic development initiatives throughout the five boroughs in an effort to diversify the city’s economy.
NYCEDC prioritizes maintaining dynamic, resilient neighborhoods and advancing 21st-century jobs. During her presentation, Torres-Springer highlighted recent projects that exemplify these focal points. Coney Island and Sunnyside Yards are among the neighborhoods that NYCEDC is currently studying for future building. Important development projects, such as Staten Island’s Landmark Colony and the Bedford Union Armory, are also underway thanks to its involvement. NYCEDC is also responsible for finalizing the citywide ferry service plans. The life sciences, applied sciences, and industrial sectors are receiving the city’s support as well.
Each project that Torres-Springer presented aims to benefit New York City’s communities by taking advantage of existing social momentum and valuing quality design.
- The NYC Office of Recovery and Resiliency is holding “Housing Affordability and Climate Change: Confronting Financial, Regulatory, and Physical Challenges to Retrofitting Multifamily Housing” at the Center for Architecture on 04.29.16.
- Justin Garrett Moore was named the new Executive Director of the Public Design Commission of the City of New York (PDC). Moore was previously a Senior Urban Designer at the NYC Department of City Planning.
- The 2016 New York State Energy Code is coming! Make sure you are prepared by registering for “Conquer the Code,” developed by Urban Green Council. Attend the Commercial and Residential training programs scheduled throughout New York State, or sign up for the session at the Center for Architecture this summer.
- NYC Department of Design + Construction Commissioner Feniosky Peña-Mora won the Building Innovation Award for Commitment to M/WBE Opportunities at the 2016 Women Build America Conference. The conference focuses on promoting and advancing women in the construction industry.
- New York State passed a budget that includes increases in funding for infrastructure and a design-build expansion. Now, the New York State Urban Development Corporation and the New York Convention Center Development Corporation are authorized to utilize design-build.
- The annual Architects in Albany Advocacy Day is on 05.03.16. If you are interested in attending, please email email@example.com.