by Adam Roberts
AIANY strongly encourages members to partake in the upcoming election and support candidates who value good design. AIA National has prepared presidential candidate profiles to help you compare their positions on issues that matter to our profession.
Critical voting deadlines are fast approaching, so here’s some important information to help you vote safely:
- Early voting will last from Sunday, October 24 to Sunday, November 1. You can find a list of early voting sites here.
- The deadline to request absentee ballots has passed, though you may submit a ballot so long as it is postmarked by Tuesday, November 3. Ballots can also be returned in-person at early voting sites and election day polling sites. You can track your absentee ballot here.
- Check your voter registration status and find your election day polling site here.
- On election day, polls open at 6am and close at 9pm. Wait times may take many hours, particularly at peak times in the morning and evening.
AIANY asks that members in management positions to encourage their staff to safely vote and campaign. This can entail closing an office for all or part of the day or providing employees with additional paid time off.
We urge our members to participate and exercise their right to vote. Furthermore, members should vote for candidates who advance those issues most crucial to architects and architecture. Voting cohesively amplifies our voice on major issues including sustainability, affordable housing, and transportation.
- The City’s financial situation continues to be dire, hitting architecture particularly hard. Many City workers are being furloughed, while design work for public works remains halted. Now, layoffs loom for tens of thousands of City workers, including architects. Please sign this petition by DC37, the union representing the City’s architects, to tell our State elected officials to stop the City from laying off workers.
- While the 2020 General Election is just a week away, the June 2021 Democratic Primary for Mayor and other City positions is fast approaching. Last week, AIANY’s Civic Leadership Program hosted an event featuring City Council candidates. AIANY is hosting Mayoral candidate Shaun Donovan on Tuesday, November 10, and partnering with the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) to host candidates for Speaker of the City Council on Thursday, November 12.