by AIA New York
FIGMENT, the AIANY Emerging New York Architects Committee (ENYA), and SEAoNY are excited to announce five finalists for the 2020 City of Dreams Pavilion Design Competition:
- Ecosphere by Murr Architekten (Sebastian Ballauf, Daniela Ditta, Oliver Jahnke, Carlos Martinez, Katherina Murr, Sebastian Murr, and Bojan Vucen)
- LaLuna by Guilia Ma with Space Travellers and Michele Versaci, in collaboration with Ilaria Bellotti and Masoud Khodadadi
- The Pneuma by Ying Qi Chen and Ryan Somerville
- Repose Pavilion by Parsa Khalili in collaboration with Bernhard Karpf
- Wall of Inclusion by Ana Morcillo Pallares, Jonathan Rule, Olaia Chivite Amigo, and Maria Arquero de Alarcón
The City of Dreams Pavilion Competition, now in its ninth iteration, invites designers to design and construct an architectural pavilion on Roosevelt Island in the most efficient and sustainable way possible. The pavilion’s name asks designers to contemplate a different future: If we imagine a New York City where anything is possible, what would it look like? In our wildest and most optimistic dreams, what is the future of our city? Designers must consider the entire life cycle of the building materials, either by identifying companies that produce “cradle to cradle” products, garnering sponsorships from environmental or socially conscious groups, or re-using waste from construction sites. Ultimately, the goal is to create a pavilion that has net zero impact and that serves as a prototype for a new, truly sustainable way of thinking about design and construction.
The five finalists selected for 2020 have responded to jury comments and have refined their designs in response. The jury will reconvene to review the revised designs and select a winner by the end of January. The winning team will then construct their design in time for the opening of FIGMENT NYC on Roosevelt Island, where the pavilion will remain for the summer 2020 season.