With the conclusion of the Zero Waste Challenge in October 2018, AIA New York would like to thank the 27 participant offices and congratulate the winners.
Below are the overall results for the competition, aggregating the data from all participants:
• Monthly waste production was reduced by 6,383 lbs (10% reduction)
• Monthly refuse going to landfill / incineration was reduced by 17,719 lbs (53% reduction)
• Monthly diverted waste (recycling, organics, returned samples etc) was increased by 11,336 lbs (38% increase)
• Total pounds of waste diverted during the challenge = 138,397 lbs or 69 tons
• Average Diversion rate achieved by all firms over the challenge: 68%, and average diversion rate on final assessment = 76%
To view the presentation from the Zero Waste Challenge: Results event, you can click here.
While the Zero Waste Challenge is over, there is much more that AIANY members can do to reduce waste:
• If you are interested in further examining your office’s waste, please be sure to contact Think Zero LLC. You should also contact Clare Miflin, at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a lunchtime learning session.
• Regarding programming, AIANY Committee on the Environment (COTE) is a great place to participate. Please be sure to contact Clare Miflin if you would like to get more involved.
• For those interested in advocacy work around sustainability issues, COTE is also a great place to go. Their Policy Subcommittee, led by John Mealy, does advocacy work around a number of issues. Please contact Adam Roberts, Government Affairs Coordinator, at email@example.com if you would like to get more involved in our government work.