Vivian Lee, AIA, LEED AP
Kerry Nolan, AIA
Kavyashri Cherala, Assoc. AIAMedia Communication
Arielle Lapp, Assoc. AIAMedia Communication
Sandra Benjamin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, NCARBAdvisory Board
Jen Stencel, AIA, LEED APAdvisory Board
Rosalind Tsang, AIAAdvisory Board
Thu, 11/8, 6:30pm
October 22, 2018Leadership Breakfast with Andrea Lamberti, AIA NCARB
We were happy to have Andrea Lamberti, AIA, NCARB, partner at Rafael Viñoly Architects for a conversation at the Center for Architecture over breakfast. Her recent projects included the master plan for New York University Abu Dhabi, and the design and construction of the LEED Platinum Darla Moore School of Business at the University of South Carolina. Ms. Lamberti also oversees strategic planning and development for the firm, worldwide.
Andrea talked about her personal career trajectory, her days at MIT and working in Japan, and presented us her achievements at RVA with an extensive list of projects. She also highlighted the group of women who are currently working at RVA, as well as former RVA women who went onto senior positions at other firms, onto founding few firms, and those who went in the development and construction field.
Here are a few photographs from the event. We look forward to seeing you at the next one!
Architecture Design Presentation: Hana Kassem and Marianne Kwok
The AIA Women in Architecture Committee and LMNOP (Leadership, Mentoring, Networking & Opportunities for A&D Professionals) were happy to have Hana Kassem and Marianne Kwok for a special Architecture Design Presentation at the Shaw Contract Showroom. The talk focused on two leading women designers, who both have achieved an admirable career at Kohn Pederson Fox. Each of them shared with us their experience as design leaders on large-scale projects. They also spoke about the challenges they faced and how their design decisions have impacted the delivery of creative solutions and, by turns, have achieved positive results, while highlighting major design accomplishments.
We look forward to seeing you at our next event!
October 9, 2018Annual Happy Hour Honoring New AIA Fellows
The AIANY Women in Architecture Committee hosted the annual event to honor recently elevated women Fellows for 2018 at the Cosentino showroom on September 26th. It was inspiring to see the women Fellows share their journeys and have a conversation with everyone present. It went on to be an informal event for architects and designers to connect with the AIANY members who achieved FAIA distinction and for their significant contributions to architecture and society.
Monthly Committee Meeting Agenda – 17th October, 2018
Upcoming WIA Fall | Winter Events & Announcements
Thursday, 8th November, 2018 | Architecture Firm Tours
- Rexrode Chirigos Architects | 10 East 23rd Street
- Deborah Berke Partners | 220 Fifth Avenue, 7th Floor
- SOM | 14 Wall Street
Wednesday, 14th November, 2018 | WIA Practitioner – Student Mentoring Warm-Up Fall Session
- Venue: Beyer Blinder Belle | 120 Broadway, 20th Floor
- CCNY, Columbia, and UPenn
- Volunteer Mentors
Tuesday, 20th November, 2018 | November Committee Meeting
Around Town & Related Events
Institute for Public Architecture Fall Fete & Fundraising | 24th October, 2018
- Honoring Margaret Newman, FAIA Principal, ARUP Planning
- Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/institute-for-public-architectures-6th-fall-fete-tickets-48721883465?mc_cid=7ac9b59dc2&mc_eid=9a0c893e3b
- The Institute for Public Architecture uses design to challenge social and physical inequities in the city and addresses urgent issues of design and policy by mobilizing a network of activists, professionals, government officials and community stakeholders.
AIA Heritage Ball | Thursday, 25th October, 2018
- Honoring Beverly Willis with ‘NYC Visionary Award”
Archtober | Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon | Saturday, 27th October 2018 (12-4pm)
- Bard Graduate Center on 28 West 86th Street
Architecture Record Women in Architecture Form & Awards | Friday, 2nd November 2018
- Design Leader: Elizabeth Diller
- Innovator: Upali Nanda
- Educator: Ellen Dunham-Jones
- New Generation Leader: Lisa Iwamoto
- Activist: Peggy Deamer
FMLA (Family Medical Leave) Policy Update
- Jen Stencel
New York Times Op-Ed | 12th October 2018
- “Why Doesn’t Architecture Care About Sexual Harassment?” by Stella Lee
Sexual Harassment Policy for All Employers in New York State
Model Complaint Form for Reporting Sexual Harassment
2019 Women’s History Month Event Collaboration
Highlight multi-generational women who have made significant yet lesser-known impacts on the built environment of NYC
Public Design Commission of the City of New York
- Justin Moore, Executive Director
- Keri Butler, Deputy Director
- Rebecca Macklis, Design & Special Projects Manager
- Jenna E. Miller, Urban Design & Policy Manager
Commission on Gender Equity, Office of the Mayor, The City of New York
- Jacqueline M. Ebanks, Executive Director
- Women’s leadership, closing the gender pay gap, sexual harassment and creating safe public spaces through design/architecture.
August 29, 2018Women In Architecture Networking Sail Aboard Schooner Pioneer
Thank you to everyone who came on board the historic Schooner Pioneer with us on a sunny Saturday. It was a great evening of networking and conversation while sailing with the backdrop of New York City. We look forward to seeing you at our committee meeting and the other exciting WIA events coming up next season!
Tue, 11/20, 2018, 6:30pm
Tue, 10/16/18, 6:00pm
Fri, 10/12/18, 8:00am
Wed, 9/26/18, 6:00pm
Sat, 8/25/18, 4:00pm
Wed, 7/18/18, 6:30pm