June 3, 2020AIANY Design for Aging Virtual Committee Meeting | May 28, 2020Date: Thursday, May 28, 5:00 PM – 6:30 PMLocation: Video Conference
Opening Presentation: Lorraine “Lori” Hiatt, Environmental Gerontologist, talked about: Re-thinking Collaboration for Senior Living Post Covid: Design, Engineering, Client/Sponsors. Specifics included: vacated sites, opportunity and caution; 101 on high vs. low Covid/rate sites; assisted and senior living; etc. —followed by Q and A.
Lori offered other topics and took questions regarding these:
- It’s just time! Clarity on aging, staffing (care + service) and design. Large, Medium, Smaller Household and Adult Day Care.
- Imagined vs. Real Social Distancing and Space/Design. Case/Studies with Lessons Before and After Covid-19 with Insights on Memory Care.
- Documenting Urban Aging and Covid-19: Moderately capacious adults and those greatly impacted including those with close other(s)…
- Some of us need to be working with NYS and NYC re-visioning models and Re: Environmental Design.
- Each of the above need specific attention to elder / staff minorities who are the majority in Covid-19 consequences.
Member Check-in: How’s Everyone Doing???
Other Events in Formation for 2020:
TAFEL HALL Panels—Possible Dates: DATES TO BE DETERMINED.
- Panel Topic: ADA at Thirty Recognizing and celebrating the thirtieth anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act. What have we achieved already? What do we still need to achieve?
- Panel Topic: Joint Event w/ Historic Buildings Committee Aging in a Historic Residence: Aging in Place Adaptations. (Are there specific projects that are successful?)
- Panel Topic: New Models for Senior Healthcare Outpatient “Wellness Center”, Geriatric Emergency Rooms, etc. —Co-Hosting of this Event with the AIA DESIGN FOR HEALTH COMMITTEE confirmed.
- Panel Topic: Transportation—Co-hosted with Infrastructure Committee.
Other Business: POSTPONED: Susan Wright will present the DFA “Aging in Place Guide” at the FUDE Forum on Age-Friendly Housing & Health Promotion -Towards Healthy Residential Environments for All. Date: Sunday, July 19, 2020. Location: Taipei, Taiwan. FUDE will pay $4,800 in travel expenses.
Presentations @ Monthly Meetings
- June 25: Nicholas Battis: NEW OLD Exhibition at Pratt – Virtual Tour.
Dates—and adjusted format?—for future Committee meetings.
Save the Date:
2020 DFA Dates: June 25; July 23