June 2, 2021AIANY Design for Aging Virtual Committee Meeting | May 27, 2021
Date: Thursday, May 27, 2021, 5:00 – 6:30 PM EDT
Location: Video Conference
Member Check-in: How’s everyone doing??? Have the vaccines liberated you?
Opening Presentation: Jennifer Hrabach Molinsky: Senior Research Associate at the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University and a Lecturer in Urban Planning and Design. Jennifer manages the Center’s research on housing for older adults. She spoke on affordability and equity in senior housing.
Events in Formation for 2021:
“TAFEL HALL” Panels (ONLINE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE) – SOME DATES TO BE DETERMINED.
Panel Topic: SAFER AND EQUITABLE STREETS: Age, Ability and Inclusion. – Date: 10 June 2021, 6:00 PM. Co-hosted with Infrastructure and PUD Committees.
- Aimi Hamraie – Author “Access: Universal Design and the Politics of Disability”
- Renia Ehrenfeucht – Co-Author (with Anastasia Loukaitou-Sideris) “Sidewalks: Conflict and Negotiation in Public Space”
- Jessica Murray – Chair of the MTA’s Advisory Committee for Transit Accessibility.
- Ariel Ward – Transportation Engineer, Planner, and Designer, San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA)
- Claire Weisz – FAIA, Principal-in-Charge, WXY Architecture + Urban Design
Panel Topic: ADA at Thirty — Accessibility Solutions in Historic Structures– Case studies of successful creative projects that extend the useful life and safety of historic buildings that are Landmarked or in an Historic District. We will make this a one half day workshop (3-4 hours) Speed presentation style of presentations, and Special Project digital publication on the AIANY website. Joint Event w/ Historic Buildings Committee, Building Codes Committee, Public Architecture Committee.
Panel Topic: Asian Models for Senior Care – Explore how models of senior care in Asian countries may differ from those in the US. Possible countries to highlight include Japan, Korea, Taiwan and others.
Presentations @ Monthly Meetings
- June 24: Robert Wong from Hong Kong will share his recent work regarding age friendly community in HK. Based on his presentation we can then continue our discussion about the possible panel topic initiated by Yutaka concerning Asian Models for Senior Care. Robert’s recent other presentation information can be found here.
Save the Date
2021 DFA Dates: 24 June, 22 July, August Recess, 23 September, 28 October