July 20, 9:00 AM
Student application opens
July 29, 5:00 PM
Student application deadline
July 31 – August 14
Students and mentors convene to design and build their edible room
August 27, 6:00 PM
Students and mentors showcase their work at a live contest
Two winners will be selected:
- Audience favorite
- Judges’ favorite
Each student designer will:
- Be paired with a professional mentor, a licensed architect in NYC
- Communicate regularly with your mentor. They will serve as your design advisor and collaborator and are as excited to create with food as you are!
- Build a model room made entirely of edible materials. The room should represent a place where food is prepared, shared or enjoyed, e.g. a café, coffee shop, wine bar, outdoor market, kitchen, bakery, grocery.
- Shop for your building materials at your favorite market, bodega, cheese shop, or anywhere else where you can access food items. Max budget is $100, to be reimbursed after the event from your receipts.
- Develop the room’s design concept. Studies/food trials are encouraged! This is a messy, hand’s on process, not a computer drawing or 3D modeling activity.
- Maximum model size: 9” x 9” x 12”. This assumes the max. room size is 18’ x 18’ x 24’, built at ½” = 1’-0” scale.
- One plan view photo of the room (11” x 17” pdf format).
- A video, either a time-lapse of its creation or a fly-through of the final product. Maximum length: 1 minute.
- Additional still photos and hand sketches of the room and concept (11″ x 17 ” pdf format).
- Present your room via RingCentral to a live audience at the Recipe for a Room contest event, Thursday, August 27, 6:00 – 7:30 PM ET. Your mentor can add comments, but students will serve as the main presenters.
Student Eligibility and How to Apply
The Recipe for a Room Contest seeks 10 student designers. This competition is open to all currently enrolled students attending NYC-area college architecture programs.
All student applicants must submit a short Statement of Interest (100 words or less), the name of the program they are enrolled in, and expected graduation year to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Wednesday, July 29 at 5:00 PM ET to be considered.
Due date: July 29, 2020